Are you ready to teach theme? Do you have enough resources that help your students identify Theme in Literature using textual evidence? This is where this resource comes in to save the day! We provide you with everything you need to teach your students to truly understand Theme in Literature by utilizing textual evidence.
Here’s What’s Included:
- Lesson Notes with Practice (Teacher Page and Student Page): Students fill in the blanks and take notes on Theme. Students are given the definition of Theme with its components. Questions to consider are listed. Finally, there is a short practice that allows you to practice identifying Theme with your class read aloud book and then an application piece where students can practice identifying Theme in their independent reading book. Full sized page and small page included for use with Notebooks.
- 6 Story Summaries: Students can practice with 6 story summaries! Students read the passages, identify the topic for the passage and then identify the theme!
- 2 Longer Passages with Questions: Students read a passage and then answer guiding questions until they develop a theme!
- Show What You Know Page: Have students answer the questions to show their understanding of Theme. Another idea is to use it as an assessment!
- “I’m a Theme Expert” Page: This is a one pager that allows students to be creative and show their understanding of Theme in any format. You will get a quick glimpse into their understanding!
- Foldable: Students will collect text evidence from a book of choice and identify Theme in literature. One idea is to set up a center with picture books!
- Reader’s Notebook Ideas: Students are given 2 art activities to complete, possibly in their Reader’s Notebooks or Interactive Notebooks
- Graphic Organizer: This graphic organizer can be used with any text. We love giving it as our monthly book report! This is also a great way to spiral throughout the year!
- Higher Level Questioning Cards: There are 4 levels of questioning to use with your students. This is great for differentiation! These cards can be used in a variety of ways, such as exit tickets or quick writes.
- Sentence Frames: Students are given sentence frames to use to help them master Theme in literature. This is a great activity to connect reading to writing. Students can use these Sentence Frames with their Independent Reading books or during group discussions.
- Assessment: 4 short passages with multiple choice questions allow students to show their understanding of identifying Theme in literature.
This Resource is for you if:
★ You want to take teaching Theme to the next level!
★You want your students to really grasp the concept of Theme in Literature
★You love using Interactive Notebooks
★You want to cover the Standards at a deep level
★You want to provide your students with multiple opportunities to practice identifying Theme in Literature that speaks to their desired mode of learning.
★You like to teach in a fun way that keeps your students engaged!
A little about why we love to share our resources with other amazing teachers like you:
We fell in love with Interactive Notebooks many years ago. Through researching best practices, learning from other Reading Gurus, a little trial and error, a tweak here and there, we designed a formula that we have used in our own classrooms for many years.
Our students love our lessons and activities, and we can say, without a doubt, that our students leave our classrooms with confidence and a deep level of understanding Theme in Literature.
Your students can do the same, all you have to do is grab this resource and then you will be equipped to make your students Theme EXPERTS!
Need a follow up lesson for THEME? Check out our Theme Craftivity!
Do you like what you see? Save BIG and buy the BUNDLE!