Book Clubs can be a very overwhelming experience for both teachers and students. That’s why we are here to help! With our step-by-step guide and complete Book Club bundle, you will feel empowered and your students will be kept engaged! This is hands-down the BEST classroom activity of the year. When one round of Book Clubs are over, your students will beg for another and another. You will gladly agree because this Low Prep, Student Propelled activity is so easy to implement, you will wonder how you ever taught without it!!!!!
- Schedule: Minute by Minute guideline for Book Clubs
- Organization Page: chart which students are in each group
- Note-Taking Page: Take notes on participation, etc. of each group
- Book Club Breakdown: What to do each day
- Parent Letter: explains what book clubs are and how they can help
- Open Discussion Challenge: This is a page/ slide to display during Book Clubs. This page guides students if they are struggling with their discussion. (2 options are provided)
- Ticket to Discussion Explanation for the Teacher: A “Ticket to Discussion” is a tool to hold students accountable for their reading. We all know that Book Clubs suffer when students do not come prepared and this is where they fall apart. To avoid this, students receive one of these tickets to complete each day during their reading.
- “Ticket to Discussion” Days 1-7 plus a blank one so you can write in your own ideas! Each day spirals through the different Reading Strategies
- Reading Strategies Addressed: Making Predictions, Making Inferences, Making Connections, Determining Importance, Synthesizing, Questioning, Monitoring Comprehension, Visualizing, Summarizing, Context Clues
- Book Club Booklets: Double Sided Version for students 1-4
- Book Club Booklet: Single sided version
Inside each booklet, students complete the following:
- Cover: Students write the title, create a cover (or try to duplicate the existing one), and write their group’s members
- Goal Setting: Students write how many pages their book has, the amount of days they have to complete the book, and figure out how many pages they will read each day
- Reflection Page: Opportunity for students to reflect on their own participation and how well their group is working together
- Job Description page: Goes over what each person is responsible for and gives step by step directions.
- 4 Jobs: These 4 jobs rotate through in a different pattern for each student. In a group of 4, they will each have a different job to complete each day. Need more than 4 to a group? No problem! Multiple versions are included. What are the jobs?
- “The Visualizer” is all about showing what they see in their mind as they are reading and noting the senses that the author used to create that image.
- “The Importance Determiner” is all about rating details from their reading. Students place details on the Importance Thermometer
- “The Comprehension Quiz Master” is all about testing everyone else’s comprehension. Students create a 2 question quiz to ask their group the following day!
- “The Inference Investigator” is all about reading between the lines. Students make an inference during their reading and record it.
- *All other Reading Strategies mentioned are addressed on the Ticket to Discussion
- Evaluation Page: Students reflect and evaluate the book after they complete it in a fun and creative way!
Want to Improve the Collaboration Component of Book Clubs? Here is a resource that is A MUST for Book Clubs!
Love this resource? Get another version to keep the next round exciting!
Want to Continue Book Clubs on a Smaller Scale? Try Reading Partnerships!
Need More Resources for Reading Strategies? You’re at the right place!
BE SURE TO FOLLOW US BY CLICKING THE GREEN STAR ABOVE TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN WE POST A NEW PRODUCT! ALL OF OUR NEW PRODUCTS ARE 50% OFF FOR THE FIRST 48 HOURS!!!!
BE SURE TO LEAVE FEEDBACK TO RECEIVE TPT CREDIT TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
Don’t miss out on updates, freebies, and tons of fun!
This pack is intended for ONE CLASSROOM TEACHER to use. If you would like to share with your colleagues, please purchase an additional license. Thank you for respecting my hard work!
All rights reserved by the author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only. Not for public display.